Saturday, June 27, 2015

nothing i wouldn't do

I'm wrapping up a really tough semester.  None of my courses were terrible, none of my professors unreasonable, I think this was just the first time that I didn't sit down to do schoolwork every week and think, "Yes! Here we go!" Pretty cool that it took nine months to feel a little resistance in motivation, right?  The most annoying part is that, without fail, every time I got into it I enjoyed myself. I kept feeling frustrated that I wasn't sitting down to write because I knew how happy I would be when I finally did.

So! I'm about to finish up Fundamentals of Contemporary Fiction, Personal Essay, and Young Adult Lit classes.  I only took two classes for my first semester, then upped it to three, and then did three again with only two week's break.  I've got a two week break before jumping back into another three class semester: David Foster Wallace, Lyric Essay, and helping edit the Fiction portion of the Lindenwood Review.  I'm excited about all three and I'm hoping my two week break gives me more motivation that I had going into Spring quarter. I'm already feeling close to being done, and it's making my head spin. I'm halfway there! I can tell I'm going to get all nostalgic about it because it's happening already.

Now I'm in a daze. Every time I put Joon down for a nap or bedtime I do the frantic mental inventory: what needs to get done, what's due next, what big projects are coming up, what do I need to be reading, and I panic a little every time my brain comes up blank.  Nothing! Nothing but watch Seinfeld and read for pleasure for two full weeks! Live it up, B!  I might start painting. I might start taking evening baths! (< that's a flat out lie, it's been in the 110's lately and a warm bath sounds mildly hellish) I am for sure picking up gardening, so prepare yourselves for an update on the status of my new cactus pot garden...and by that I mean cacti in pots, not cacti and pot. I am growing one thing, and that is cactus.


So! What's everyone reading? I need a good, juicy summer read for my break. And what are you baking? I love an evening baking project. And WHAT, for the love of all that is good and holy, are you wearing if you live in the desert because I am so hot. I'm so hot. I change my clothes 2-3 times a day because of...uh....sweat. Never expect anything less than classy from me, dear readers.

Totally unrelated pictures of 1.) Tina purposefully taunting Joony while he was trying to watch Mighty Machines. I wish I had an audio clip to attach of him shouting "Hey Tina! You get down! You get down right now Tina!" and 2.) a swim evening trying to beat the heat.

4 comments:

  1. Every time I read your posts, I always think to myself we would be such good friends. Let's be pen pals or something, yeah? hahah

    Summer always puts me in the mood for YA Lit, so I dive into anything Sara Dessen for a quick read. Maybe even the Sisterhood Series by Ann Brashares but that always gets me emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing this semester! I LOVE reading and a great novel I recently finished was State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Such a genuine, fascinating story. If you want a lighter read, something akin to Summer Sisters by Judy Blume but with less sex, I would recommend Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

    ReplyDelete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!