Monday, December 29, 2014

my rack

We've been on visitor overdrive lately.  I love it.  My sister and her family got her on the 23 and stayed through the 26, then my parents came on the 26 and are staying through New Year's Eve.  I spend so many days (and weeks and months) being homesick that it just feels so good to have those people I'm missing right here in my house for a couple days.

While my parents are here, my dad spent a half day making me this mug rack.  I pinned this inspiration photo almost a year ago and haven't been able to get it out of my head. I have a great mug collection and I wanted to display some of them on my wall.  My dad and I went to our local hardware store and had this piece of plywood (3/4" thick) cut to size, then he burned it slowly with a blowtorch to deepen the colors, and sealed it with a top coat.  We used hooks that he opened wider with pliers so they fit my mugs of all sizes. I'm so freaking excited about this dang mug rack, I can't even put words to it.  He even wrote on the back! "Hand made for David, Brandilyn, and Joon by your 'ole Dad 12-29-14."


...and in case my kitchen was getting too classy, I bedazzled Tina's special cardboard box throne that sits on the kitchen table:

5 comments:

  1. Wow, nice rack!! ;) Really, it's adorable and so is Tina's special box. -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and I love that you bedazzled the cat box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, all I want in life is for my house to be as classy and tasteful and beautiful as yours...but a close second is having my cat's cardboard box bedazzled. I MISS YOU.

      Delete
  3. Skip did such a good job - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bedazzled cat box really brings it home.
    So jealous of that mug rack! I was gonna make one after I saw this, but I'm deciding to just hate you instead.

    ReplyDelete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!