Wednesday, September 24, 2014

oh, you gonna let it all hang out

There is no shortage of posts about "every mom is different! You do you!" in the mom-blogging world.  Just a few weeks ago, Carrie wrote a post about the "mommy wars" that I agreed with and spoiler alert: no such thing as the mommy wars.  It's all made up and it's dumb and seeeriously, no one else cares how you're raising your child.  It's all born out of our own perception that other people are watching us, which just isn't happening as much as we all think it is.

So I had that in the back of my mind when I watched this video by Lena Dunham, which is just so cute and spot-on.  I love her, plus we dance the same way, so there's that.
(There's an F-bomb at 0:40, plz watch anyways)
"A huge part of being a feminist is allowing other women, giving other women the freedom to make choices you might not necessarily make yourself.  And so, just like we should respect women who cover up for reasons of shyness, or modesty, or religious beliefs, just like we have to allow for all of that, we have to allow for women who want to walk down the street in booty shorts."

I just loved that and I've been mulling it over in my mind all day.  Sometimes I think I'm a bad feminist (Bad Feminist is on my to-read list, by the way! Anyone out there read it?) because I am not as well-read on current women's issues as I want to be. I still have a lot to learn before I feel qualified to spew an opinion on all these hot topics...but it's comforting to think that, at its core, feminism is about support, and I can be and am a part of that.  The quickest way to get respect for myself and my unique set of values and beliefs is to give that respect to others.  I just like the idea of being supportive and encouraging to one another and respecting that we all have the right to let our freak flags fly. Kumbaya and all that, amiright?

Ever since I moved away from blogging for followers and free crap, I've felt more of that sense of community around the blogs I read and the people I meet through the internet.  That's pretty cool.  I'm really trying to get there in my off-line life, too.  It's easy to take a step back and calculate my reaction to something online, or to unfollow that one mommy blog or whatever, but in real time at the grocery store or the park my gut reaction is often an eye roll or a snide mental commentary. I mean, people can just be so obnoxious! Wish me luck. I'm trying to be a better member of the sisterhood over here.

2 comments:

  1. I've read your blogs for a while and haven't commented yet, but I had to drop in and say this post is great. You (and Carrie and Lena) are so spot on in encouraging ladies to get over themselves and start liking each other. Or at least stop hating each other.
    Jenny Lawson also had a great post on feminism this summer: http://thebloggess.com/2014/07/women-who-are-ambivalent-about-women-against-women-against-feminism/

    Take care, and rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Traci!! And thanks for the awesome link, I'm checking it out right now.

      Delete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!