Tuesday, May 27, 2014

was sort of hoping that you'd stay


I feel like the internet can be a really gross place sometimes.  I've seen people in my feeds looking for attention and affirmation in some really weird ways.  I feel like some people purposely post things they know will be controversial, and not to start meaningful conversations, but to jump all over anyone who might disagree.  Am I being too vague here?  I'm saying the internet can be so bizarre, that's all.  I've wondered if my online presence has added to that.  And even if I'm not adding anything particularly terrible, am I adding anything particularly valuable?

On Sunday I noticed the YesAllWomen hashtag blowing up on Twitter.  I couldn't stop scrolling through those tweets and reading the experiences of other women, experiences that were and are so important to tell.  I cried because I had lived through some of those same experiences, and I felt like strangers were speaking up for me.  I felt grateful for the voice that social media can give to important issues, for the ways it lets silenced people speak out.

When I thought about the content I'm putting out, I felt a little silly--it's mostly pictures of my kid on Instagram, and silly observations on Twitter--but I also felt grateful for the little daily connections I've been able to make.  I've mentioned before that I struggle with loneliness and hopeless feelings, and connecting with other women who are in the same boat as me, as well as people sailing in whole other oceans, has been this really cool thing.  I love reading about other experiences, and seeing logic behind new ways of thinking, even and especially ones I don't agree with.

I still roll my eyes at some things--I mean, the color of your bra or a bare-faced selfie aren't raising awareness for breast cancer, okay?  They're just not.  Also, maybe 20 people in my feed are doing a whole 30 so I'm scrolling past, what, 60 sweet potatoes a day? No matter how annoyed I get, though, I circle back around to really enjoying the internets.  I guess that's all I'm really writing this post, online, to say.  And you should really go check out the YesAllWomen hashtag on Twitter.  I'm also saying that.

7 comments:

  1. haha! 60 sweet potatoes a day! for REALS! make the madness stop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel passionately about the hashtag and the potatoes. One needs to go on forever and the other needs to gomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post just makes me smile. :) I've wondered about the YESALLWOMEN hashtag, but I don't do twitter, so I have no idea what is going on... is there any way for me to figure it out without getting a twitter account??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I retweeted and tweeted some YAW stuff. From my Twitter page, you can clikc on the YesAllWomen hashtag and it'll pull up all the tweets there. https://twitter.com/thebrandilyn

      Delete
  4. yes!!!! this is a very well said (or well written? duh.) post.

    i have found that ever since i stopped using Facebook that a lot of that internet frustration has gone away. sadly though i have caused at least 2400+ children to parish by not 'liking' various pictures on my feed. god forbid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I snorted out loud at that one! You also probably don't have a mother/father/sibling that you love, and you don't support our troops, and you'll never win $10,000 in the lottery because you didn't repost various images. Sorry about that. ;)

      Delete
  5. I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes I just scroll through my feed and get exhausted.

    ReplyDelete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!