Sunday, December 8, 2013

pie & cider night







We hosted a little Pie and Cider Night at our place over the weekend, and it really was so much fun. We'd love to make a yearly tradition of inviting people we love into our house to kick off December with good food and conversation. I meant to take pictures of everyone who came, but of course once I got to talking and laughing the camera was the last thing I thought of. I did manage to snap these before anyone showed up, though, and I love how cozy and Christmasy our house feels right now. I only made 3 kinds of pie--apple, pumpkin, and chocolate--but made a gluten- and dairy-free version of both the apple and pumpkin for David. So yeah, we had (well, have...still working on leftovers!) tons of pie. Spending all day Friday baking, listening to Christmas music, and dancing around the kitchen with Joony was probably my favorite part of the whole experience.

Crock Pot Apple Cider* (delicious + makes your house smell amazing)
2 qt. Treetop apple cider
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 orange, unpeeled, cut into wedges
2 cinnamon sticks + 1 tsp. whole cloves, placed on a square of cheesecloth and tied into a bundle
--->Put everything into a crock pot and simmer it all on low for 3-4 hours. Remove the cheesecloth bag and oranges right before you serve.

*Recipe originally found right here

8 comments:

  1. Sad we missed it! Poor Beckett... stupid cold germs. Looks so very festive and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delightful! You should tell me where those napkins came from! and your stockings! Love it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Napkins are good old Target! Their Threshold party crap is just the best. Stockings, I just searched knit Christmas stockings on eBay! I got all 3 for $12, cheapskate FTW!

      Delete
  3. Star of anise is a great addition to that recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so, sad we missed this! Chris and I both were so excited about this idea since, in our opinion, cider>cocoa and pie>cake. It was MEANT for us. We'll help you with leftovers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I am not opposed to whipping up another pie for a (smaller scale) redo night ;) Plus, I'm sure Joony would get the biggest kick out of watching Greta play! He is fascinated with older kids right now. We'll do it soon!

      Delete
  5. Your home is ADORABLE. I love everything about it. And those stockings!^ ^ What a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great holiday idea! So fun for a cozy night with a few friends instead of a huge Christmas party. Love those straws and cards for the pies!

    ReplyDelete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!