Monday, October 21, 2013

jean machine

Madewell Archive boot; Target corduroys/flannel; F21 fox sweater

David's days off are always fun and lazy and the best days ever in the whole world.

This week, it was on a Monday, and after he let me sleep in and then I let him take a long nap and then Joony took a good nap, we piled into the car and headed into The Big City (just kidding, Idaho Falls.  It's got the closest Target and mall, which doesn't even have a Forever 21 or a Gap, we live rural huzzah!).  The original plan was just to get lunch and let Joonmonster terrorize the play area in Chick Fil A, which we did, but then David felt like shopping around for a head light for his dirt biking helmet and I needed jeans so he dropped me at the mall and headed to the outdoor store.

My complaint with jean shopping is this: there is no consistency. I tried on two pairs of size 6 jeans at Old Navy, and one was skintight enough to be considered obscene while the other was B A G G Y, like they didn't even stay up on their own. Where's the sense in that? You'd think in the same store I would wear the same size. No dice.

Finally, I headed to American Eagle, where I paid more than I wanted to but dang do they make a jean that flatters the bum. I've been having a nursing-induced booty crisis lately.  I gained about 60 pounds when I was pregnant with Joon, then lost 75 pounds when he was nursing around the clock, landing me somewhere barely in the triple digits weight-wise. BOOM! I was all, "Tee-hee! I guess I'm just skinny! Oh, what, I'm a size 0/2? Wow, that's so tiny! Hehe!" So of course all of my jeans were tiny-tiny. Since he's been done breastfeeding, I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight, plus a few friendly little pounds that seem to have made great friends with my rear.  I'm happy with how I look right now--really, I am--but my jeans didn't fit, and every day that I tried to squeeze into them I felt chubby and annoyed, thus commencing aforementioned jean hunt.

Wearing jeans that fit is basically the best thing ever. I remember, when we owned the store, I would watch girls squeeeeeze into jeans that were too small for them because they were so excited about the number they saw on the tag. They just didn't look right, though. Jeans that don't fit make your legs look like sausages squeezed into casings and they give you a muffin top. Jeans that do fit make you look (to borrow the words of my 6 year old niece) hot stylin'. They make you feel sexy, too, and bonus! No unbuttoning when you sit down to eat your chicken sandwich. It's just so many wins in life.

AAAALLLLLL of this to say that I am now the proud owner of 2 pairs of jeans that make me feel like a million bucks. I sashayed all around the house in those crisp new suckers and felt like quite the winner. Go jeans.

11 comments:

  1. Dude, I so feel you. I've gained a few pounds (like literally, a few) that have put my normal jeans too tight for comfort. They button and "fit", but not enough to sit down for more than like 10 minutes without my stomach hurting. So, off I go for new jeans. They are the worst to shop for, and I love to shop. Just thought I'd let you know I'm sharing your pain right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thank you! Why is jean shopping the worst? OK, swim suit shopping is worse than jeans...but jean shopping stinks. Good luck!!

      Delete
  2. Love the sausage casings and muffin tops visual!. Haha. Heaven help those poor girls! American Eagle really does make the best fitting jeans, but for some reason I always forget to look there first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I went to like 3 other places and was so irritated that everything looked like crap on me. Thank heavens for AE.

      Delete
  3. Love me a pair of good jeans. But I swear its so hard to find things that fit right. I mean really who is 6 feet tall and a 00, because thats what all the pants are made for, annoying. I haven't tried AE maybe I'll have to try them out.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I have the same problem at Gap. I have shorts, a skirt and jeans all in 3 different sizes! Yay for finding the right jeans - I agree it can make you feel like a million bucks!
    -Daniella, Seattle, WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally have a pair of size 0 jeans AND a pair of size 10 jeans from Gap...they both fit. Crazy!

      Delete
  5. I'm a big AE jeans fan too! I tried to get all fancy with jeans for a little
    while there but then I came back because I realized they fit amazing and are a pretty good deal! Plus ae has awesome sales that make them even cheaper! They had 40% off of everything about a week ago and I'm bummed I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were $10 off when I went yesterday! I'll definitely keep an eye out for good deals in the future!

      Delete
  6. I love love jeans, but shopping for them is the.worst. Especially when really all I want to do is click, click, click and have them show up at my front door. My booty has had good luck with AE jeans too. They're super comfy. And the Diva Distressed skinnies at ON are seriously the best if you try ON again. They're soft, a tad stretchy and have a modest rise without going granny style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like they, the colors, everything looks good and perfect.American Eagle does indeed get the best fitting jeans.

    Salwar Kameez Collections Shop

    ReplyDelete

I think you're smart, pretty, & entitled to your own opinion.

I'd love it if the feeling was mutual!